It is in 1665 that, among the fertile vineyards of that time, Oronzo Arcangelo Maria Francesco of the Earls of Lemos, gave birth to the winery.
The founder was passionate about such a fertile and rich land and understood its value, so, after the first years of processing and transformation, he returned to Spain, sold some possessions and came back to invest the proceeds in Salento lands.
The winery began to bottle its products with Piero and Lisetta Leone de Castris, in 1925. In 1943, Five Roses was born, the best-known wine of the company and the first rosé wine to be bottled and marketed in Italy and immediately exported to the United States.
The story of this family and their winery goes on. Salvatore Leone de Castris, son of Piero and Lisetta and holder of the Order of Merit for Labour, contributed to a significant development - also at an international level - of the company. For twenty years his son, Dr Piernicola, has been running it. More and more prestigious awards are constantly given to the whole company.
Today its products are spread not only in the European markets but also in the United States, Singapore, Canada, Brazil, Australia, Japan, China, Hong Kong, etc. New vines have been planted in the family farms, such as Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Montepulciano, alongside some traditional vines like Negroamaro, Malvasia Nera, Verdeca, Bianco d'Alessano, Moscato, Aleatico, Primitivo, Susumaniello and Ottavianello.
The winery offers a wide range of products: PDO red, white and rosé wines (Salice Salentino, Locorotondo, Copertino, Primitivo di Manduria); interesting IGT Salento and Puglia wines; rosé and white sparkling wines; a brandy and an oil of great quality. It also has a first-class hotel available, "Villa Donna Lisa", equipped with sports facilities, that supports the daily visits of Italian and foreign delegations.